If you are on an Indian visitors visa, then you know that any single trip cannot be more than 180 days at a time. You can either ignore that and take your chances or you can visit the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FFRO) and register with them. Since, I’m based in Bombay I had the great pleasure of visiting their Bombay location. The whole process only took 2 hours but that could have been cut down to 30 minutes had they supplied more information on their website. However, as you can see, the website has very little information. So, I thought I would write-up the basics and save you some time.
1. Download this form and fill it out, make a total of 3 copies of this completed form
2. Get the “undertaking form” from the office, but you can fill it on the spot by the person sponsoring you, but you will need to have a total of 3 copies of this completed form as well
3. 4 passport photos of you
4. 3 copies of your passport main page
5. 3 copies of the Indian visa
6. 3 copies of the arrival date stamp in the passport
7. 3 copies of the sponsoring person’s passport, main page
8. 3 copies of the sponsoring person’s passport, address page
9. 3 copies of the sponsoring person’s address proof, i.e. phone bill
10. Bring Rs. 150 for the various fees Have all the information filled out and then bring it to the office.
First you’ll goto the cashier and get a folder for Rs. 50. Then you will be called by the passport officer who will check all your documents and charge a Rs. 100 fee, once that is paid, you will sit again in the waiting room. Finally, they will call you again to say everything is cool!